Sunday, August 26, 2012

Influence

There are two sides to an influence. One, getting influenced and the other being influential. I very much fall into the former category. I'm someone who gets influenced in one tenth of a second ( That's an exaggeration okay, but just that you get the idea).
 When I talk to someone in my class with a strange/different accent or slang, I find myself going home talking the same way he/she did. Well, that's my story and I'm pretty much sure there are a lot of you with a similar one.
Now, Let me talk about some one who's been extremely influential on me and that will be no one other than my dad. I say he has a very big impact on me simply because I'm interested in everything he is interested in and I like every single thing he does.Its not just me, I find each one of his students from different parts of the world having exactly his opinions on various issues. Its just that he can get anyone with absolutely no interest on a topic to be completely drawn towards it just after an hour's conversation with him.
My dad's PhD dissertation was on Comparative Literature in which he basically did a comparison of the English poet Shelly and our own Bharathi. And no wonder why I'm so much into comparative literature and madly in love with the works of both the poets.
Many things make our hearts skip a beat. For me its Bombay Jayshri singing the amazing verses of Bharathi. I' don't know I find it so fascinating. I'm not sure if it is that sweet melancholic voice of hers that we hear on high volume in the car's stereo system or if it is the powerful lyrics of the poet or if its the live commentaries from my dad with so much of emotion. 
And back to the topic, I've always wondered how it feels to be influential, to inspire people and to make them aspire. I take a lot of things after my dad and I'm hoping I'll take the'influencing' part too. 
I know this is a very short post. But I just felt the need to write and I have no idea why. Like most of my posts,these are just random thoughts huddled in one corner of my brain along with another thousand thoughts.
Keep watching this space! and here's to more frequent posting!

P.S- On a totally unrelated note ,with yesterday we finished one awesome year in college. Its just been a year but I feel like I've been going to college like for a very long time. We went on one amazing Industrial Visit to Infosys at Mahindra City and so much fun! And here's to hoping for more fun IV's and three more years of fantastic fun!

No comments: