Sunday, January 10, 2010

Am Proud!


And yes I am. Its not that I did something extra-special. But I am proud. Its not anything about me, not even close to that.Its my DAD.

Its just not that every kid considers his/her dad the super-hero and is proud. But I really am.I proudly call Dr.G.John Samuel, my dad the best in the whole world! And so, why don't I dedicate this post to this Great person?! Not only this post, but anything which I can. I haven't talked much about him. So let me get this post talking.I've gathered these info on account of sneaking and picking! Who cares? Its my own

Born in Nagercoil, near Kanyakumari,the southern most tip of Indian peninsula, he spent the whole of his childhood there. ( After which I am left with a blur, and fill it ASAP).
He did his Masters in Tamil Literature and later on in English Literature.
He was a professor at the American College, Madurai and later moved to the International Institute for Tamil Studies ( IITS) in Chennai the reason being, he wanted to focus more on research.
He then did his PhD , the title being "Comparative Studies on the Harp and the Veena" ( Harp refers to P.B Shelly, the English poet and Veena refers to Bharathi, the great Tamil poet and I've been greatly fascinated toward both of them, probably owing to the fact that my dad often speaks about them).
Moving out of the nutshell, he started the Institute of Asian Studies, Chennai which now exists as the heart of research in Tamil language and its propagation World wide.The Institute started as a small mission in rented buildings at thiruvanmiyur later moved moved into the sprawling present-day campus of 10 acres. The departments include Kannada, Telugu, Japanese , Folklore etc. The Institute boasts of 200+ publications with International Recognition.The Journal of the Institute of Asian Studies (JIAS) itself is an example. It also has a huge library of 40,000+ books and journals and also rare palm leaf manuscripts.

He represented India at the UNESCO conferences. He was the one who prepared the draft for recognition of Tamil as a "classical language". His report was recently translated into Tamil by the Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu himself, and was flashed in almost all the papers.

I wonder, he being such a great man doesn't show anything even close to all this. In fact it took me 15 years to realize this myself. His Simplicity is what I admire.

Turning back, I realize what a wonderful personality he is. He represented our Country to The UNESCO only at the age of 30.Thinking of all these things he has achieved, I have millions of miles to travel forth. He has determination, the strong will, the grit and the ability. Building up an institute single handedly,the troubles he faced and how successful he is now, pave my way to get inspired.

And everything I am comes from him. I am very good at Languages ( both English and Tamil). And that really comes from him. I share so much interests in common with him . I remember the times he's inspired me.When I was down, he was my backup .More than everything else, he is a Fantastic and Loving dad. I LOVE YOU DADDY!

Am proud of you and I will make you proud too :)

6 comments:

Vishnu Vardhanan said...

Hey cool!!!...I reckon that writing is a sort of legacy that is left to you by ur dad...Research on Shelly And Bharathi!!!..That's really cool...
All the best and make him proud...

Keep blogging and keep rocking...

Unknown said...

That Sounds Cool!! What a Person!! U must really be proud!!

Unknown said...

Great Dad!! I undrstand why ur so good at eng and Tamil!!

Unknown said...

Wow!! great Inspiration u hav from him!! Make him proud!!

Unknown said...

hey!!

U write so well.. Those words and ideas seem to flow from within with so much of ease! Ur gonna make a brilliant Writer! And yes I hope it does come from your dad!!

DramaQueen said...

Thank u guys!! I sure will make him proud :) :)